1981 Artic Cabaret Arcade Cabinet. Part 3

Electronics, Jamma harness, control panel and working on the Wells Gardner K7000 CRT.

Well I’ve been working hard on the cab whenever I have any spare time. Externally, the cabinet is now in very good shape so I moved onto the internals.

The cab was wired specifically for Tiger Heli, the edge connector on it was a hack job so I wanted to refresh all the wiring inside. Problem is, at this point, I don’t know what game I want to run in it. I decided to wire it to Jamma and then start collecting some PCB’s at some point.

 

Preferably I want to keep the molex plugs and connectors used on the control panel, monitor RGB and the power molex connectors so I soldered into the originals. I want to keep the internals as is where possible and it’s nice to be able to unplug things for easy removal. I didn’t want the Jamma harness to be soldered in too permanently in case I decide to do something different with it.

The control panel cleaned up nice, I fitted now IL joystick and buttons and it’s starting to look a bit nicer.

 

Currently I only have a horizontal Jamma PCB so I add a vertical multi game board for now.. I know, sound issues and that but at least it give me something to play for a bit.

Apart from cable management inside, the only internals left to do is to cap the chassis and replace the flyback. I’m having real issues identifying the chassis though, arcade buffett is helping as much as he can and is looking out for a chassis. I sent him the complete list of caps and illustrations of the chassis for his info, Not sure I’ll bother with a cap kit on this though unless I can find a flyback.

The flyback was cracking and arcing badly, I re insulated around the metal strap on the flyback with hot glue and re flowed the flyback which seems to have stopped the arcing but the screen comes in and out of focus, it has a bit of a dither and convergence is extremely difficult to achieve. One of the pots on the chassis is also very temperamental to adjust.

wp_20160915_006

 

The arcing was pretty bad, take a look at this!

I really want to find a fly back, on KLOV, someone else was looking for one with the same numbers on it: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-317929.html

if I can find a suitable flyback I’ll cap it too but it’s not looking too promising at the moment.

Currently, the cab is sitting in the dining room where we’re playing some classics on the multi game board.

 

That’s it for now, I hope I can address the chassis at some point but whilst I’m still working that out I need to get leg levellers and replace the wheels on the rear bottom of the cabinet as they were missing and smashed.

Once everything is sorted, I’m gonna get the side art. I decided I’m gonna use a multi game side art as this will be my multi game cab.

Author Tony
Published
Views 139

Comments (3)

  • Profile photo of Tony
    October 13, 2016 at 10:11 pm Reply
    The monitor finally gave up, plays blind and no neck glow. I've swapped it out for a Wells Gardner K7000 which has been capped and new flyback. Looks great!
  • March 3, 2017 at 7:41 pm Reply
    Shame about the monitor but sometimes things just can't be fixed. I've been faffing on with a cabaret monitor for months now and it's atill not working. From how you got the cab to the condition it's in now you should be well chuffed. Round of applause.
  • Profile photo of Tony
    March 5, 2017 at 10:19 pm Reply
    Hey thanks Neil for the kind words, as you know from the twitter pics I posted recently, I've done a bit more to it art wise, still plenty to do to it but I am very fond of this old cabinet and I think it's worth the investment.

Leave a Reply