I got hold of a SNES which looked like it had been sat next to a smoker for years, apparenly though the yellowing is due to a fire resistant chemical used in the plastic along with exposure to sunlight (or storage in dark places, I don’t remember) cause the yellowing appearance. As you can see with mine, it was pretty extreme and needed sorting out, it was bringing the console corner down with it’s nicotine yellow shell.
I saw a few guys from the retro community on Twitter ‘Retro Bright’ their consoles, from what I’ve read, you can buy actual Retrobright fluid but being a tight git I thought I’d have a crack at doing mine with some cheap peroxide from BodyShop.. I used 30 strengh and had to do mine twice, people recommend 40 for best results.
So, it’s time to crack open the SNES and take out the guts…. However, you’ll need to get the security bits for Nintendo consoles – this set me back £4 including delivery from China but well worth it as I think I’ll end up tinkering with other Nintendo products at some point in the future. The driver bits work with cartridges, NES, SNES, DS etc.
Here’s what the takedown looks like..
If you don’t want to forget where things go, take plenty of photo’s along the way.
Remove all of the screws shown below:
Don’t unscrew the small screw to the right of the large ones in the above picture, it’s an adjustment screw of some sort. Just unscrew the obvious ones.
Now onto lifting out the electronics and removing the plastic bits, the cartridge retaining peice and metal threaded lugs.
You’ll need to press the tabs to remove the front joystick port cover, the reset button, on-off switch and the dark grey covers. It’s pretty obvious how everything comes apart.
With everything removed, the whole thing needed a good wash to remove grease, fluff and any other debris inside.
Then I took it outside, used some rubber gloves to protect my hands and painted on the peroxide.
I gave it multiple coats over the next few hours, unfortunately the sun went in and so I had to do it again the weekend after when the sun was shining again.
The peroxide reacts with UV light and that’s when it gets to work.. That’s what I read anyhow.
So after a few hors in the sun, I washed it all down and put it back together, dead easy to see where everything goes, they’re not complicated at all.
As you can see below, the results were very successful, I can’t say it’s 100% but I’d say it’s much much better and doesn’t look too bad now. Well worth the price of a couple of £1.79 bottles of peroxide and a bit of effort.